Spangler Environmental, Inc. is a consulting firm serving land developers, engineers, architects, attorneys and governmental agencies throughout the Southeast. We are looking for a qualified candidate to join our team as an Environmental Scientist within our Land & Water Resources practice.
- Perform delineations of wetlands and waters pursuant to US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), state and local protocols;
- Write technical memos and reports for clients based on field evaluations or research;
- Perform threatened and endangered species investigations and write accompanying reports;
- Prepare and submit 401/404 permit applications; obtain project-related documents from state and local agencies;
- Advise clients on stream and wetland-related issues and serve as the liaison with regulatory agencies for permitting projects;
- Prepare and submit PCNs and state/local permit applications, including exhibit preparation using ArcGIS, AutoCAD and other mapping/design/graphics software;
- Collect GPS field data and integrate into exhibits.
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental or related field of study;
- Minimum two years of experience performing wetland and Waters of the US delineations pursuant to USACE protocols and stream origin delineations per NCDWR/TDEC protocols, with a history of interacting with regulatory personnel, resulting in approved JDs;
- Working knowledge of environmental regulations, particularly Clean Water Act sections 404 and 401, Endangered Species Act sections 10 and 7, and National Environmental Policy Act;
- Experience using ArcGIS;
- Willingness and ability to independently and successfully schedule and complete outdoor field work in variable weather conditions (cold, rain, heat, etc.);
- Flexibility to schedule and complete overnight field trips throughout the Southeast, sometimes on short notice;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience using Microsoft Office;
- Valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- NCDWR/TDEC stream origin training/certification;
- NCWAM/NCSAM training/certification;
- Experience using ArcView, AutoCAD and other mapping/design/graphics software;
- Experience using field data collectors.
Full-time position with benefits. Starting salary of $40-50k, depending on experience. Some travel, possibly overnight, required occasionally. Must be able to work outdoors in variable weather and site conditions.